Friday, December 08, 2017

A Bowl of Saimin at Kahului Airport in Maui, Hawaii

Saimin

There was actually one more local dish that I wanted to get before leaving Hawaii, and that was saimin, an Asia-influenced noodle soup that I once had at a McDonald's in Hawaii many, many years ago. Anyway, today there was a stall selling it right outside the gate at the airport, so I quickly sat down for a bowl. My first impression? I loved how salty the soup was. It was no-holds-barred in-your-face salty, but in a clean way. And it went well with the cabbage, so I just kept drinking it despite breaking out in a sweat at this outdoor airport. The rest of the stuff in the bowl was unremarkable though, so I just kept drinking the soup. I'll admit though that the saltiness eventually got to the point where I couldn't finish the rest.

1 comment:

Paul said...

NICE! flying through Maui once with a layover for work and this absolutely hit my cravings for home. I'm trying to figure out if this is still there.